[GLLUG] Thinkpad BIOS

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Mar 9 10:36:21 EST 2012

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 10:21:12PM -0500, Chick Tower wrote:
> Without going to any trouble to look for an answer, does anyone know
> if IBM Thinkpads ever used to store part of the BIOS or the utility
> to modify it on the hard drive?

Crazily enough, I used to support Linux on that laptop around that
era.  I recall that they did some weird stuff with the BIOS such that
it looked for a suspend-to-disk file or magic partition (or something
like that).  It's possible that the new disk you got is somehow
confusing the system.  I suggest making sure that the disk you have
has been wiped before trying it.