[GLLUG] Hotswap cage question

Peter Christenson pac1.mi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 22:23:15 EDT 2012

take two forgot to reply all. and better link for last Item.

you might want to try something like this (these are just random from
page 1 of ebay)
this one looks like it would work

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-SATA-SAS-Hard-Drive-Hot-Swap-Tray-Rack-Module-5-25-/370587872626?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item5648c22d72#ht_899wt_1304

but this one might not do to the smooth sides

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-Bay-SATA-III-SSD-SAS-6G-Hard-Drive-Hot-Swap-Tray-Rack-Module-5-25-/370589029324?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item5648d3d3cc#ht_809wt_1304

remember that cheap isn't always bad.  but I personally like tray-less
racks just because then I'm not worried about unique screws or
anything like that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/StarTech-Tray-Less-SATA-Hot-Swap-Mobile-Rack-Backplane-/190616096515?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item2c619acf03#ht_6189wt_1304

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-3-5-Inch-Trayless-Backplane-HSB430SATBK/dp/B000NMAZUK

hope this helps Taylor.
Peter.

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Taylor Burke <taylor at zordio.com> wrote:
> Hey guys!
>
> My server has an interesting setup right now. The drives are sitting down
in
> the 3.5" bays on top of one another since I don't have the rails for
them. I
> wanna get a hotswap drive cage (4 drives preferred), but I've got an
issue.

> http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Dell-PowerEdge-SC1420-SC1420MIN-Server-/66963169
>
> The 5.25" bays have removable plates, obviously, and I've removed the
CD-ROM