[GLLUG] Website builder tool

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Fri Mar 23 13:25:19 EDT 2012

On 3/23/12 1:07 PM, Stan Mortel wrote:
> I have a friend who want to build a small website using Windows (I
> know, ugh!).  It looks like she will need to build the site locally
> and then upload it rather than using an ISP's tools, e.g., Drupel (way
> to hard to learn for what she wants).  I have some experience with
> Dreamweaver, but that costs money.  Anyone have a recommendation for a
> free software package that is easy to learn and use, preferably with
> available templates.  The one advanced feature needed is sign-up for
> calendar events.
I'd recommend having somebody set up a CMS system for her, and then take
an hour or two to show her how to use the content creation portions.
I've done it before, but it gets kind of spendy and I don't personally
have the time at the moment.

This package also looked useful: http://sourceforge.net/projects/awb/

The downside is that I can't see where it has any templates
pre-generated for it.  But in use it's dirt simple: Write text files,
run the awb script, website is generated.

The signup for calendar events thing is your real problem.  Possibly
some integration with google calendar, but I don't see that as viable if
drupal is too scary for her.

Clay