[GLLUG] CLI help

J Neveau neveauj at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 14:05:01 EDT 2012

Hello all!

I have a CLI question that I can't seem to figure out after Googling; most
of the responses seemed to be over my head and involved
PERL expressions and such.  The work is being done on a DEBIAN (stable)
machine.

Anyway, I'm archiving necessary data from a friend's hard drive from a
WindowsXP machine before it gets wiped.  One of the users
have a directory with .jpg photographs that they named "vactions!!!!!
01.jpg" with successive sequential enumerations of each file afterward.

There are about eighty five total files named this way.  There is a single
space between the last exclamation point and the first digit.
( I have NO IDEA what possessed them to name these files this way...I have
already uttered a number of choice expletives )

I would like to rename all of the files, leaving their sequential numbers
intact, but remove all of the exclamation points and the single space
after the exclamation points.

The BRASERO disk burning software keeps stopping with errors while burning.
 I believe it's due to the screwy names that WindowsXP
allowed people to name files.  I've yet to go through all of the .mp3 files
and clean those up.  SHEEESH!  No good deed goes unpunished,
I suppose.

HELP PLEASE!?!?!?

Thanks in advance to all offers,

JN