[GLLUG] Valve's Gabe Newell Talks Linux Steam Client, Source Engine

Taylor Burke taylor at zordio.com
Wed May 9 13:48:33 EDT 2012

On 04/25/12 18:02, Don Bosman wrote:
> Life may be getting safer for gamers. I know I'd prefer my son's
> played Steam games on Linux boxes.
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_linux_dampfnudeln&num=1

I want to be excited about this. I really do. But the state of Linux
video support is, well, abysmal. Xorg contains 40 years of code, and I
really don't think anything short of a major rewrite is going to make it
more effective. Hardware acceleration barely works for "supported"
distros out of the box, and there really aren't a whole lot of video
cards that are supported at the level most games need to be. Not to
mention porting Steam to Linux would probably take quite a while,
considering that last I read Gaben was in the stage of "wanting" to hire
Linux developers.

--
*Taylor Burke*
/Consultant/, Zordio LLC