[GLLUG] Continuing Life for Old Tech

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Thu May 10 08:57:28 EDT 2012

Chic, this article made me think of you:
http://www.itworld.com/hardware/270936/living-computing-fossils-old-tech-holding-dear-life

Best piece from the whole article: 40% of all personal computers run
window XP, a ten year old operating system.  I realized after reading it
that I've got a machine running XP in my basement.  I think that
Microsoft might have hit a sweet spot with XP: it looks nice and is very
reliable, so there hasn't been much incentive to upgrade.  Windows 8 is
likely to change that, because the OS is supposed to be able to scale
available services to match hardware capabilities, and administration
will move from the GUI to the CLI on servers.  But for most users, there
still might not be a lot of reason to switch.

Clay