[GLLUG] Network storage question

bfdamkoehler bfdamkoehler at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 14 21:24:26 EDT 2012

It sounds like all of your clients are Linux.  If so, you might want to
use NFS (Unix network filesystem) rather than  Samba (Windows network
filesystem which is also known as CIFS).  Not all commercial NAS devices
support NFS. If you get one that does, it will probably support both NFS
and Samba.

It is purely a matter of what your clients need.

NFS gives you all the Unix permissions, users and groups, things like
symbolic links.

If you don't have common users and groups across the client machines
then the user and group stuff probably doesn't matter.

The NAS box probably makes it easier to setup RAID if you want that.