[GLLUG] Routers

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Sun Nov 11 17:49:36 EST 2012

I don't think even the fastest consumer devices can route all that
much more than 100Mbps (WRT54GS capped out at 30Mbps), so gigabit is
probably overrated.  If you are lacking a decent switch, though, I can
see why that would be important to you.  To get your gigabit speeds on
the on-board switch though, you have to avoid routing the traffic.

That means you can't use the vlan capabilities that make those
internal switches so valuable (most similar devices are enterprise
gear starting in the hundreds).  Basically, you give up being able to
do things like place an untrusted computer on an isolated network
segment (ex. that M$ box your roommate gets a worm on every other
week), split your guest access onto a different network segment so it
can't talk to your private machines, etc.

IMO, you usually gain a lot more for the typical home network by just
adding an 8-port gigabit switch for $20 (or less for a 5-port).  That
way, you still get the vlan benefits on the other router switch ports.
 I recommend 8-port as printers, game consoles, scanners, DVR, bluray,
voip, etc. run up the total very quickly.

-Rick