[GLLUG] Geeks with Tractors

Marr wm33 at att.net
Thu Nov 15 15:54:19 EST 2012

On Thursday 15 November 2012 14:50:53 Clay Dowling wrote:
> It's in now way Linux related, but I can't think of anything much
> geekier than putting a Volvo engine with a turbo charger into a tractor.

A cool hack, indeed.

But did you ever hear of "The Michigan Madman" (a.k.a. E.J. Potter)? He used
to put V-12 Allison airplane engines into tractors. Here's an article with a
photo of his "Double Ugly" -- a 24-cylinder experimental bomber engine in a
tractor:

   http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2012/05/03/e-j-potter-the-michigan-
madman-r-i-p/

Makes the Volvo mod look rather tame by comparison. ;^)

Earlier in life, EJ also put a Chevy V-8 and a jet engine into a motorcycle.
Some photos, and info here, including a recent video of him drag-racing on one
of the V-8 "Widow Maker" motorcycles:

   http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2006/05/08/ej-potter-michigan-madman/

   http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/sports/autoracing/e-j-potter-motorcycle-
daredevil-dies-at-71.html?_r=0