[GLLUG] Online Course for Android Development

Michael P. Flaga michael at flaga.net
Mon Nov 19 15:27:44 EST 2012

I ran across the other day the following Kicker Starter. Which closes in the
next 48 hours.

As this appears to be a good next step for people like myself looking to
jump up from Arduino and such.

Just throwing it out there and looking for any feedback. As I am
contemplating backing it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atushinsky/android-complete

*
<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atushinsky/android-complete#DoINeedToBe
AProgAlre> Do I need to be a programmer already?

No, we begin with the installation of Java and take it from there.  We cover
the various topics that you should be familiar with as a programmer, and
I'll help you learn all this properly, and in a fun way.

With that said, the only way you'll improve your skills after the course is
by continuing to work with the technology.  If you're passionate about
building something, and working with a PC, you will be successful!

Last updated: Friday Oct 26, 7:06pm EDT

*
<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atushinsky/android-complete#HowWillTheC
ourBeDeliToMe> How will the course be delivered to me?

The course will be downloadable.  I will provide an ISO file (or probably
multiple ISO files), which can be burned to a DVD, or simply mounted and
used directly in any major operating system.  The course will work on
Windows, OS X, and Linux, and you can even copy parts of the course to your
tablet and/or phone.  This will allow you take the course with you.  There
is no DRM on the material.

Last updated: Friday Oct 26, 7:11pm EDT

*
<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atushinsky/android-complete#WherAndWhat
DoYouCurrTeac> Where and what do you currently teach?

I currently teach at Bergen Community College and County College of Morris,
both in New Jersey.  Previously I worked for Rutgers University, and this
spring, I will also be teaching Android at Ulster Community College, in
upstate New York.

Here's a link to the course catalog at BCC:
http://www.bergen.edu/continuinged/Documents/CEfall2012.pdf - Android 1 & 2
and my WordPress course appear on page 46.

CCM:
http://www.ccm.edu/Media/Website%20Resources/pdf/businesscommunity/CppFall12
.pdf - Page 18.

Last updated: Friday Oct 26, 7:15pm EDT

*
<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atushinsky/android-complete#HowMuchTime
DoIHaveToWorkOnTheCourCanIDoThisInMySparTime> How much time do I have to
work on the course? Can I do this in my spare time?

The course is designed so you can work at your own pace, and on your
schedule.  Everything will be self-contained, and I am available for support
in case you run into issues.  You download and work with all of the material
on your PC, and/or tablet.  Lifetime updates and erratas will be provided to
you as well.

Michael P. Flaga,  <mailto:michael at flaga.net> michael at flaga.net