[GLLUG] Additional Serial & Parallel Ports

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Mon Oct 1 11:25:53 EDT 2012

On 10/1/12 10:45 AM, Charles Ulrich wrote:

> Only downside is that they generally require special drivers
Most of the jetdirect boxes I've played with had a unix lpd daemon built
into them.  That may be a function of the time when the boxes I was
using were purchased.  I don't have an extensive history with them, but
we did use them at a couple of different employers.

Another option might be to look at buying a network printer.  Network
ready laser printers are very affordable right now.  I paid $300 for a
very nice network ready color laser, and my wife's black and white
network printer was only about $120.  Stay away from Hewlett Packard
though: their drivers are miserable, especially on Linux.  The days of
HP being a safe cross platform choice are gone.  Better to spend a
little bit more and get a Postscript capable printer.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4376813&Sku=Q200-5024

For $89 you'd get a great printer and wouldn't need to fool around with
adding in questionable peripheral cards.  I use the 1650EN, which has
the same printing engine but adds postscript, network support, and if
you're willing to plunk down some more dough duplexing.

Clay