[GLLUG] MAC G5 1.8dual

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Wed Oct 3 07:49:57 EDT 2012

On 10/02/2012 07:49 PM, Robar Philip wrote:
> This is simply not true. Unlike Linux, OS X is UNIX®.
Maybe OS X is somehow more pure.  I haven't used SVR4 in a very long
time.  Linux, FreeBSD and OpenBSD are all more like each other than they
are like OS X.  Software written for those three is trivially easy to
port among the three, but porting to OS X is much more involved. For
binary software written in C an C++, it's easier to port to Windows than
to OS X.

So whatever the purity of OS X, it's not like the other UNIX systems
that are familiar to most UNIX users.  Similar, but definitely
different.  I use Linux, OpenBSD and OS X every day for my job.  The
similarity is appreciated, but the differences can also be frustrating
at times.  Our IT staff is even more outspoken about the frustrations of
the differences.

Clay