[GLLUG] General Question

J Neveau neveauj at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 15:38:44 EDT 2012

This is always a great question.  There seems to be a lot of confusion
about total memory usage in Windows, Linux, etc.

Additionally, the factor of 32bit and 64bit OS comes into play.  I've seen
people bragging about their 64bit processors, while
running a 32bit operating system.  It's like giving a man in a row boat two
oars for paddling and only one oar lock for the boat.

This is my understanding; someone correct me if there's an error.

Any 32-bit operating system can only address 2^32 bits of RAM, which is
4GB. Since PCI devices are memory mapped, any RAM that they use needs to be
part of the address space that the OS references. If you use 4GB of RAM,
this will mean that the memory from your PCI devices will therefore
"overlay" a portion of your RAM and cause less RAM to be visible to your
OS.

For example, if you have two 512MB video cards in SLI mode, you will only
be able to see a total of 3GB of ram.

JN