[GLLUG] Phone Pest

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 10:11:00 EDT 2013

I returned to St. Louis Sunday to find over twenty messages on my
answering machine, most from insurance companies about a request for a
quote that I never made.  The perpetrator(s) of this hoax don't seem to
know any more about me than what is in the local phone book, so identity
fraud that causes a loss doesn't seem to be an issue.  They did use an
e-mail address, diginbmhz at outlook.com, with at least two of the
insurance companies, and one of their representatives told me he had
sent e-mail to it (since I wasn't responding to his phone calls) and
didn't get any error messages.

Does anyone know of any way to find out more about someone from their
e-mail address, short of writing and hoping for a reply?  I'll use a
search engine or two to see if anything turns up.  I realize someone
else may be getting "punked" by using their e-mail address, so I won't
start off blitzing them with porn site registrations and responding to
Nigerian businessmen with money to move.
--

                                Chick