[GLLUG] Laptop recommendations?

Taylor Burke jburke at liquidweb.com
Wed Feb 6 20:32:37 EST 2013

For a "power" machine I have my custom desktop and current laptop (Asus
G74SX)- the laptop has an i7-2670QM and the desktop has an i7-3770k, so
right now I'm not looking so much for "power" as I am portability since
the laptop damn near weighs ten pounds, and one of the reasons I've been
looking at Ultrabooks is because of how thin and lightweight they are.
It's something I'd like to be able to cart around without feeling like
I'm back in high school.

- Taylor

On 13-02-06 05:52 PM, Richard Houser wrote:

> I personally stick with the professional class laptops based on msi,
> asus, sager, etc.  It's a price premium, but money well spent if you
> spend a large amount of time on the machine or need a lot of
> horsepower.  Check out sites like powernotebooks.com
> <http://powernotebooks.com>, but read up on Optimus first.  The next
> closest tier is probably something like the Lenovo lines.  I need a
> real notebook, so can't speak much about the ultralights.
>
> On Feb 6, 2013 1:59 PM, "Clay Dowling" <clay at lazarusid.com
> <mailto:clay at lazarusid.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 02/06/2013 01:56 PM, Jonathan Billings wrote:
>
>         My work laptop is an ultrabook, a Dell XPS-13, running Fedora 18
>         (x86_64).  There's finally a kernel in testing that'll support the
>         multitouch trackpad, otherwise the system runs fine.  It's quite
>         light, has a 256G SSD in it, integrated wireless and
>         bluetooth.  The
>         CPU is a Core i7-2637M, dual-core.  Display is 1366x768 (blah) but
>         looks good.
>
>         Ubuntu had support for it earlier, since they worked directly with
>         Dell and the parts vendors to get drivers working.  The XPS-13
>         is the
>         Linux "Developer Edition"
>         (http://content.dell.com/us/en/gen/d/campaigns/xps-linux-laptop).
>
>         I like it.  A lot of people just assume it's a MacBook Air,
>         due to the
>         way it looks.  It's nice to be able to buy a laptop and not
>         pay the
>         "Microsoft tax", although I suspect that you're not paying any
>         less
>         than the people buying it with MS preinstalled.
>
>     You're paying slightly more, or were when it first came out.  I
>     seriously considered it, because it was announced just slightly
>     before I purchased the Latitude.  And it wasn't my money, so I
>     didn't care about the extra $50, which still put it well below my
>     budget.
>
>     One thing to consider is how much memory the motherboard can
>     handle.  I bought my laptop because it could take 16GB of RAM.
>      That might seem obscenely huge, but at times I will need to run
>     several rather greedy virtual machines on it.
>
>     Clay

Taylor Burke

Taylor Burke
Linux Systems Administrator

Liquid Web, Inc. - www.Liquidweb.com
support at liquidweb.com

800-580-4985 Toll-Free - 517-322-0434 Int.