[GLLUG] Wireless Device Names

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 10:26:33 EST 2013

I was helping Ben configure wireless on one of his laptops on Monday.
(Yes, we met behind your backs.)  The laptop uses an Intel Pro Wireless
chip, and a Broadcom Ethernet chip.  When we tried to bring up wlan0, if
failed.  Luckily, an internet search provided an example of configuring
one using the device name eth1.  That surprised me, but it worked.

Now to my question.  Is there some way to determine, from information on
the PC itself and the installed programs, what the name of the wireless
(or any) device is needed?  I searched through dmesg for the basename of
the driver, ipw2200, and it found several lines, but none of them
specified a device name.  The dmesg lines for the Ethernet device did
show it at eth0.  Does it requure searching through the source code of
the driver, or perhaps the kernel, to tell what name a device responds to?
--

                                Chick