[GLLUG] Lansing Makers Network

Kami Vaniea kami.vaniea at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 10:31:19 EDT 2013

I think that holding tonight's meeting there is a good idea. I visited
LMN last weekend during similar times of day as the meeting and it was a
safe area. I'm unclear if I would feel safe in the neighborhood alone
after dark. But it is currently summer in Lansing so it isn't going to
be dark, and with a whole group of LUG people around no one is going to
be alone. Honestly, if the LUG meets there it will probably be the
safest opportunity the members of the group will have to checkout the
new maker space.

If you are at all concerned there are some very basic precautions you
can take. There is a nice exposed parking lot right next to the
building, so if you can drive yourself I recommend doing that. If you
have to take public transit I recommend approaching the building from
the west. It sits between a nice neighborhood (west) and a run down
neighborhood (east) and the approach from the west is through a downtown
area with shops that seemed very safe at 7pm. If you would like a ride I
suspect there are several LUG members, myself included, who wouldn't
mind providing rides.

I'm a bit more concerned about making the LMN our permanent meeting
location. However, I would like to table that discussion until after
members of the group have had a chance to see the new space for themselves.

Thanks,
Kami