[GLLUG] Migrate mail from one server to another with imapsync

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Mon Oct 14 16:20:48 EDT 2013

On 10/14/2013 03:59 PM, Jason L. Froebe wrote:
> if you have access to the system, you could save the shadow file,
> change the passwords to something you know, do the export and then
> restore the shadow file.
>
> jason
>

> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Kami Vaniea <kami.vaniea at gmail.com
> <mailto:kami.vaniea at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     In any well designed system it is impossible for anyone, even root, to
>     get access to the raw password because it isn't stored anywhere.
>
>     - Kami

When we did this at MSU, we had an app that users logged in to with the
password.  That created their password on the new system, as well as
launching the mail move process and dropping a .forward file in their
home directory.  That way there was never a point at which anybody knew
the users passwords.  It also meant that users could move when they were
ready, up to some clearly defined cutoff point in the future.

Clay