[GLLUG] Schneier on Windows

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Mon Sep 16 09:00:33 EDT 2013

On 09/15/2013 02:35 PM, Chick Tower wrote:
> In his article at
>
> https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/09/how_to_remain_s.html
>
> and after outlining several measures to limit the ability of the NSA
> to snoop on internet users, Bruce Schneier writes
>
> "I understand that most of this is impossible for the typical Internet
> user. Even I don't use all these tools for most everything I am
> working on. And I'm still primarily on Windows, unfortunately. Linux
> would be safer."

That was an excellent read.  Of particular note was that public key
encryption was inferior to symetric shared key encryption.  I had always
distrusted such encryption because of the shared key, which imposes a
fixed target for attackers to work against, but a little reflection on
historical key exchange methods reminds me that each encrypted message
can contain the key for the next message that will be received,
effectively creating a moving target.

Clay