[GLLUG] Smart Phone Security

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 14:19:28 EDT 2014

I don't own a smart phone.  I don't want a smart phone.  I read
frequently about how they are easily exploited and often just give away
your information.  At last night's meeting, I asked how smart,
security-conscious Linux users can trust their phones, and the answer I
received was a universal "I don't trust my smart phone."  Does anyone
else know of any ways to safely use a smart phone (your own, not a
borrowed one)?

I was also told of a method thieves are reportedly using to find houses
to burglarize.  They break into a car at some event that will last a
while (I think the Silverdome was mentioned), use the car's GPS to find
home, and go there, knowing at least some of the occupants are gone.  So
maybe programming "home" to be somewhere else nearby is a good idea, if
you don't want to drive a car without a GPS like I do.
--

                                Chick