[GLLUG] Debian Dependencies

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 13:48:48 EDT 2014

Because all I wanted was a small distro that had GRUB 2, I installed the
Debian stable (Wheezy) network installation on a PC.  Because
configuring GRUB 2 is new to me, I found a couple of tutorials that I
saved as HTML files.  This version of Debian does not have a web
browser, as far as I can tell.  It has no X-Windows, and I want to keep
it that way, so I would like a text-based browser.

I have no plans to connect Debian to any network.  Do any of you know of
a way or a program or something that would allow me to download the
packages for a browser (or any package, really) and its dependencies, so
that I could then transfer them via a thumb drive to the Debian
installation and then install them with dpkg?  I know I can look on-line
to find dependencies and download them one-by-one, but if there's some
way to do it all at once, just as if I used apt-get to download but not
install a package, it would be easier.

Please don't suggest another distro, unless it's very basic yet has man
pages, editors, GRUB 2, and a text-based browser.  I considered Arch, as
it has a very basic, non-GUI installation to start, but it's bigger than
what I want.  I considered Bodhi, a stripped-down Ubuntu-based distro,
but it's too big, too.  All I want right now is an easy way to download
a Debian package and it's dependencies for installation later, and it
would be nice if I could segregate them from the rest of the downloading
system so I would know what to copy.

Thanks for any advice.
--

                                Chick