[GLLUG] ATM operators eye Linux as alternative to Windows XP

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 22:22:02 EDT 2014

On 03/23/2014 01:49 PM, Tom McArthur wrote:
> Awww, Microsoft is pushing users (albeit corporate ones) towards Linux!
> Thanks, Microsoft!
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9247096/ATM_operators_eye_Linux_as_alternative_to_Windows_XP

I had seen mention of this, or a similar, story on Slashdot.  I hope the
ATMs have no external ports.

I was at PetCo today to buy a new ID tag for my dog.  You buy the tags
and the cost of engraving is included.  The tags come in a plastic
cassette so you can load them into a machine that does the engraving,
after you use the touch-screen to enter all the relevant information.
Mine went well until it was time to pass the cassette and the engraved
tag back to me through a little slot in a clear, plastic wall.  The
machine stalled right there.  The staff either doesn't have or couldn't
find a key to open it, so they rebooted it, and up comes Windows XP.
--

                                Chick