[GLLUG] A question about electronics.

Michael P. Flaga michael at flaga.net
Thu Nov 27 01:22:06 EST 2014

After the meeting I got your 8x5 matrix running on my Arduino UNO. I have uploaded a video <http://youtu.be/l1aqlFeOeck>  of it working along with a few working files and pictures <https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jfnevhmr4e9l8rz/AADhRbAMepGtuAUdnsGL02Rba?dl=0>  of the wiring. The code can be found at https://gist.github.com/4755b88540a6fa7b25a0.git

Note the pins are counter clock wise. Also as the Arduino's pins can only sink or supply about 20 milli-Amps, limiting resistors are not actually needed, in the case of just getting them to glow. If you want to make them brighter you will need to drive them something that can source/sink more current.  More info can be found at http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/LEDMatrix. Where these chips can be cascaded. Unlike the direct drive as one of 8x5's basically takes up all the pins on the UNO's 328 chip.

Whereas the above will get you displaying something. From there you can expand.

Michael P. Flaga, michael at flaga.net