[GLLUG] Audio errors in Debian 7

David Lee Lambert davidl at lmert.com
Mon Oct 13 01:32:12 EDT 2014

On two desktops and a laptop, all running Debian, I have a couple of
cron jobs that check whether any of my children are logged on at our
standard bedtime (8:00 PM nights before school, no check otherwise) and
forcibly logs them off.  Actually, there's a "warning" script that runs
five minutes before (write to all consoles, and use text-to-speech to
issue an audio warning), and a "Good Night" text-to-speech at the
appointed time.

Since update to Debian 7, the commands "festival --tts" and "wall" are
giving errors.  Any advice on how to remediate?