[GLLUG] What To Do About Low Meeting Attendance?

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 12:41:20 EDT 2014

Last night, and the Thursday before, I was at Schuler Books for our
weekly meeting.  I didn't see anybody else looking for a Linux meeting.
  Granted, last week I was almost half an hour late, and it was just
before the long weekend, but last night I was fifteen minutes early.

Attendance has been falling off for years now.  What can we do to
increase attendance?  I'm specifically asking you who would be
interested in attending meetings, but I want to encourage anyone with an
idea to reply.

Do we need to emphasize presentations again?  Should we have some grand
project to work on, whether that be software, hardware, community
service, classes, something for Penguicon?

Do we need fewer meetings, such as twice a month?  Once a month?

Do we need to publicize our meetings more widely, and try to recruit new
members?

Do we need to have meetings on another night of the week?  Saturday
meetings?  We've tried Saturdays in the past without much luck, but if
that's what people would like now....

Do we need a different venue?  If so, is it just because of the
geographic location, or do we need someplace more quiet or somehow
better able to conduct presentations?  Or do we need to go to a bar
occasionally?

Please let's have some ideas to increase attendance.  I don't want the
group to die out.  Where else am I going to wear all my Linux and FOSS
t-shirts?
--

                                Chick