[GLLUG] I had an idea, now, How to Find a good developer?

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Mon Feb 2 16:33:57 EST 2015

Skip the NDA, and don't worry about somebody stealing your idea. Ideas are
worthless. How you execute on that idea, that's what is valuable.

Here's a much better plan:

1. Find out what the existing market looks like. What you have described
sounds like several existing apps and websites.

2. Figure out what is going to make your product different from all of the
others, that will make people want to use your product instead of somebody
else's product.

3. Get together some money to pay an experienced developer to evaluate your
idea and make a rough guess at the time and staffing your product is going
to take to bring to market.

4. Double or triple that estimate.

5. Get together a bigger pile of money to pay the staff you need.

6. Hire the experienced developer to assemble a competent team, and let the
experienced developer guide the technical side of the project.

The most important thing is the money. Good developers and designers are
expensive, but they are a lot less expensive than cheap developers.

And seriously, don't even think about the NDA. Your idea isn't worth
anything. The thing you build from it is the thing that will have value.