[GLLUG] BLOBs in Databases

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 21:00:49 EST 2015

On 02/02/2015 02:44 PM, Kami Vaniea wrote:
> I've never really tried reading the BLOB data directly from the DB.
> Normally I just use the DB the same way I would use the file system and
> code the application I'm writing to visualize whatever the binary is.

Thank you, Kami, and everyone else who replied.  So it appears that a
database would need to be part of a larger application that is able to
view whatever BLOBs you store in the database.

Some of you made suggestions about better approaches to storing binary
data in databases, or whether to even do it.  I have no application in
mind using BLOBs, nor do I want to swap one database for another.  I
just had a question.  I saw the BLOB storage class, thought "That's
cool", but then wondered what use it would be.
--

                                Chick