[GLLUG] I had an idea, now, How to Find a good developer?

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Wed Feb 4 12:51:07 EST 2015

On Tue, Feb 03, 2015 at 11:10:19PM -0500, Clay Dowling wrote:
> An experienced developer has heard this OP a lot. During a tech boom I will
> hear it about once a month. Somebody making that inquiry isn't ready to
> hire a developer yet. A good responsible developer will be asking the
> questions I outlined. A bad developer will say they can do it, and ride
> that train until the money runs out.

I also have heard this kind of thing before, particularly in the tech
boom.  If you're like me, you heard a lot of people who thought they
could make millions with an idea (which usually was cloning some
popular product and rebranding it), they had no technical ability and
expected you to work for little or nothing. ("You'll make much more
money with all the recognition you'll get!")  I can think of at least
one guy who would show up at our LUG meetings (in another city) and
act like some sort of Venture Capitalist but then would ask for
someone to pay for pizza for him because he was living out of his
mother's basement and didn't have any money to pay for anything.
There was another guy who actually started up a company to sell used
computer equipment to schools, put linux on them, and then tell the
schools they can get free support by contacting our LUG members.  He
neglected to mention this to our LUG until after he'd started the
business and was collecting customers.

I say this not because I think your idea is bad or that you have no
backing, just that what you're saying brings back a lot of negative
connotations.