[GLLUG] I had an idea, now, How to Find a good developer?

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Wed Feb 4 19:52:56 EST 2015

Being serious isn't nearly enough.  Someone asking for a product also needs
to be prepared.  There was nothing in the example even implying a
likelihood of a feasible product, even a basic set of requirements for what
that product needs to do, a business plan for how it's going to be
successful, etc.  Even if I'm just asking for a relatively simple addition
to an existing application, I make an offer on what i can bring to the
table (in my most recent request, that's a specific $1.3k piece of
hardware, beta testing support, remote access for testing, and a financial
payout on delivery).  The original request that started this thread was
really borderline even for a single feature addition like that, let alone a
new, undefined application.

Any such requestor needs to go back, develop the idea (or pay someone else
to), prepare a plan of approach (again, or pay someone else), then come
back with a question that looks was something like this:

I have THIS product I want built in M market space, that does A-B-C-D in
this way, interfaces with E and F, plus implements a process similar in
scope to B that I have mapped out (but unfortunately cannot disclose due to
trade secret) to make money in this market space.  What sets this apart is
the innovative way I do the secret process above to produce W result
combined with input A.  My budget is approximately X, but I don't know how
to approach finding a developer that can design aspects Y and Z of this
system within this budget and deliver within X months.  How do I locate and
identify an appropriate developer?

That type of a question is productive, and something we can answer.