[GLLUG] ABOUT US - How we're different

Tom McArthur ThomasMcA at computer.org
Sun Feb 8 07:39:40 EST 2015

Start Page is my chosen search engine in both Linux and Windoze,
although it is not a perfect replacement for Google. I also used
DuckDuckGo for a while, and it's not a perfect replacement, either. DDG
hides the "more results from this domain" feature behind mouse-over
text. That means you have no idea which hit has more results until you
mouse over each and every search result entry. Very annoying. Start Page
doesn't even have a "more results from this domain" feature.

While using either search alternative, I have had to rerun my search at
Google because they did not return enough hits for my search terms. Most
of the time, Google returns more hits.

I don't like Google's see-all, know-all business philosophy, so I will
continue to use alternatives, even if the results are not perfect.

While we're talking about search engines, I highly recommend the
Greasemonkey script called Google Hit Hider. It adds a Block button next
to every search result in Google, DDG, Start Page, and many other search
engines. Clicking Block lets you block *the entire domain* from ever
appearing in future search results. I block spammer domains, search
harvesters like generation-nt.com and serkey.com, sites that I just
don't like or use (such as twitter.com), and foreign language sites such
as linux-club.de.

Tom