[GLLUG] Meeting Idea

Patrick Goupell patrick at upmerchants.com
Mon Jan 12 08:32:35 EST 2015

On 01/11/2015 09:24 PM, Chick Tower wrote:

> This idea was prompted by me wondering about using cloud services.
> During his presentation on CFEngine, Daniel mentioned that he has a
> mail server running on Digital Ocean, and that it costs him only five
> dollars a month.  I thought that was an interesting idea, but I later
> wondered how he set up his MX records, how do you make sure it's not
> an open relay for spam, if there was a default setup provided by
> Digital Ocean that he just had to tailor to his mail domain, and what
> other cloud/virtual server providers offer at what price.  I propose
> that we have some meetings where we discuss a particular topic, and I
> would like this to be one of them.  I can only make the second meeting
> of each month, though, so I request that we save this one for one of
> those meetings.

I am running a mail server on digitalocean.com as well.  Actually 2
servers (droplets in their vocabulary).

Server 1 is a virus / spam checker built from the good folks at
www.efa-project.org.  I downloaded their "build script" and converted it
from 64 bit to 32 bit (just a couple of modules that needed to be
changed).  This droplet scans the email and forwards to the second mail
server.

The second droplet holds the email for client retrieval.  It was built
using the tutorial at www.howtoforge.com
(https://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-users-and-domains-with-postfix-courier-mysql-and-squirrelmail-debian-wheezy).
I have since found a tutorial I like better at
http://www.xenlens.com/debian-wheezy-mail-server-postfix-dovecot-sasl-mysql-postfixadmin-roundcube-spamassassin-clamav-greylist-nginx-php5/.
But both work well.

The digitalocean servers run well and they have a lot of good tutorials
on their site to set up a lot of different software.  So for $15 a
month, $10 for the virus / spam filter and $5 for the email server I
think I got a pretty good deal.

As I am quite a distance from Lansing I could not make it to a meeting
but a discussion on an email setup using the info from the tutotrials I
mentioned would be a good topic for discussion.

Patrick