[GLLUG] New Linux installation

Sean Omalley omalley_s at rocketmail.com
Wed Nov 11 06:32:51 EST 2015

I don't think you need to waste the gas for that. :) UEFI has been along for quite a while. I haven't had issues with it in years.

First things first. Use the Lenovo utility to make backup images of your windows install if you haven't yet.  Even if you don't want to use Windows. Occasionally, you need to install firmware updates, and it is tricky at best to do without Windows installed. Also make sure you have your license key.. They usually have a sticker on the back that has it, but  Asus doesn't do that...

Next, see if there are any firmware types of upgrades, and install those.

Try the "live" dvd (maybe the installer is a live cd, it is now for Fedora) if that doesn't work, you will most likely have issues. Make sure you know how to get to the network, so if you do get it installed and have issues you can ask questions especially if it is your only computer.. :)

Do you want to do a dual boot, and keep windows, or just run linux? The dual boot is trickier with Windows and uefi. I normally just wipe everything and install it.
Last you should be aware Lenovo's 1 click recovery, windows spyware, and windows images are hanging out on a hidden partition on the drive. I remove those. I think they wasted space. I also had issues a long time ago prior to uefi screwing up my install.. :)  It should show up in the partitioning tool they have.
Sean