[GLLUG] Bootable USB Stick

Ben Chavez ebcha1974 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 12 09:29:21 EST 2015

Hi Chick.

Were you able to upgrade the OS on the Thinkpad? What work around did you
end up doing? The thinkwiki.org claims that Thinkpad T42 can boot from flash
drives but my experience has been the opposite. I believe it is because the
BIOS on those laptop were never updated. IBM had released some updates for
the BIOS few years ago to include support on various boot devices but the
upgrades could only be applied from Microsoft Windows. I don't know if these
updates where ever release for Linux. I remember the options for booting
from an external hard drive were there but never worked. Installing the OS
while the hard drive is attached to a different machine maybe the way to do
it. It is more work but that might be the best alternative.

Let us know