[GLLUG] Arch Tribulations

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Sat Jan 30 14:39:28 EST 2016

Chick, unfortunately about half of what you just wrote about is ultimately systemd specific or the way it's developers do things.  At it's core, it violates the Unix way of doing things and its developers have actively resisted attempts to provide stable APIs so there are options.  As sad as it currently is, I expect things to be mostly stable again on that front after a few more years, just like the initial PulseAudio implementation mess from the same individuals.

Even on Mageia, which was forced to switch three years ago, about half of the major problems I encounter are systemd related (the largest of which are a few complete boot failures and PID 1 100% CPU usage, probably after installing patches).

A lot of this comes down to RedHat pushing these changes for political reasons in spite of the technical problems.  Unfortunately, RedHat was just to big of a player and got their way after a long fight from much of the community.

With most the other distros ultimately falling over to systems, a fair number of users made the jump to BSD.  With how you tend to use your machines and the general age of the hardware involved, perhaps BSD is actually a better fit for you.  Have you looked into it lately?  Most the user space is the same.

The other issue, 680MB for a text installer without local packages is a joke.  Mageia's GUI installer for x86_64 or i586 came out about 80MB last I used it.  I normally just do a network boot or install from DVD, though.