[GLLUG] Arch Tribulations

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 22:47:33 EST 2016

On 01/30/2016 05:36 PM, Mark Thuemmel wrote:
> How about AntiX?
>
> https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20150810#antix
>
> You can search for fluxbox distros at
> https://distrowatch.com/search.php?desktop=Fluxbox

I tried AntiX in the past, Mark, and it was even the Fluxbox version.
Coming from Slackware, I didn't care for the jury-rigged way they
automatically created the Fluxbox menu; I'm used to creating (or copying
an old one of) my own and editing it to how I like it.  Plus, it's based
on Debian, which I've always thought does things in strange ways.  Not
as strange as systemd, but still a bunch of "magical" commands, rather
than just editing the files you want changed.  I can live with Debian,
though.

I'm not wed to Fluxbox, that's just what I like to install on distros
that don't come with a window manager.  It's fast and it's easier to
edit the menus than Openbox's XML menu files, but I've tamed them on
other distros (ArchBang, Sparky, & Manjaro).  Enlightenment (rather,
Bodhi's fork of E17, Moksha) is nice, too, especially since I've learned
how to put often-used programs in the Favorites category of the menu,
which is the major modification I like to make to menus.  I hate having
to dig through several layers of menus for things I frequently, maybe
always, use, and I try to avoid desktop icons.

Yes, Clay, I have considered FreeBSD.  I intend to play with it again in
the future, or maybe GhostBSD since it has an XFCE version.  Slackware
is holding out against systemd, even in its next version, so I don't
have to hurry if I actually want to avoid systemd.  I have played with
FreeBSD in the past, and found that my familiarity with Slackware served
me well.
--

                                Chick