[GLLUG] DNS Child Name Servers

Thomas Driscoll tad001 at sunn.net
Mon Sep 12 14:39:01 EDT 2016

I am trying to understand the question... but this is what I took away.
Usually there is a Primary DNS server and a Secondary DNS server. The
Secondary has no data at start, it queries primary and then stores that
data in case primary goes down or someone asks Secondary for data that
it knows about (authoritative responses). So changes to a zone would be
made on the Primary and the secondary would suck in those changes.
Variations between the Primary and Secondary should only be during the
time Secondary is updated, and with notify command for DNS that should
be almost instantaneously completed. Otherwise, I think the TTL (time to
live) determines when secondary is updated. Is that the data you are
looking for?

tad