[GLLUG] Secure E-mail

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Wed Mar 22 23:18:13 EDT 2017

Based on the descriptions in that article, both featured products are insecure by design and should not be trusted.  The same goes for the lower tiers of Lavabit.  The primary problem here is entrusting your keys to third parties, which should never be done with something that's supposed to be secure.

Also of note, a true webmail experience (ie. without some sort of local plugin + key storage) is completely opposed to such encryption, as you need local key storage and processing to make any of the secure systems work, which is obviously not present when trying to push all your data to an external server.

Lavabit in paranoid mode sounds secure (I have not personally vetted it or anything), as do most clients supporting OpenPGP.  There are tons of open source clients for OpenPGP.  I've personally used Enigmail+Thunderbird on GNU/Linux and K9copy on Android/Linux lots for email.  You can also get the equivalent with XMPP chat on a client like Psi.