Copy of post on msu.linux RE:DLT 4000 installation

mOuSe mouse@ajboggs.com
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 16:46:06 -0400

I am wondering how to correctly configure this device using mt and then the
correct flag values to use when running dump.

I first ran dump on a 1.4G filesystem.  The compression light on the drive
was on and I was able to iterate this dump 7 times before EOT was reached.
It took approx. 20 min to complete one iteration.  Then I decided to set
options thru mt.
/sbin/dump 0bBf 32 14563556 /dev/nst0

So Far I have set used mt to set
density to 0x83 (originally set to 0x1a)
blksize to 32
compression 1

Doing a dump under these copnditions takes forever!!!!!!
Now the compression light is off on the unit.