Putty SSH Client

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 00:23:14 -0400 (EDT)

For those that missed tonights meeting, I mentioned "Putty", which is a
free Windows SSH client.  There is also SecureCRT, TeraTerm, and a couple
of other SSH clients out there for Windows.  On the Unix side, there's
SSH1 and SSH2 (from the original SSH people) and OpenSSH, which is
maintained by the OpenBSD project.

For those that don't know about SSH, it stands for secure shell.  It's a
replacement for telnet and the "r" utilities (rsh/rlogin/rcp) that
encrypts everything, including username and password.  This makes your
connections secure and prevents anyone from snooping your connection.
This is a "Good Thing(tm)", and we've gone as far as disabling telnet
entirely on all but perhaps one or two of the servers I administer for
MSU (those boxes unfortunately need to remain accessable via telnet).

--
Edward Glowacki			glowack2@msu.edu
Network Services