Putty SSH Client

Paul Melson melson@scnc.holt.k12.mi.us
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 06:46:12 -0400

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 12:23:14AM -0400, Edward Glowacki wrote:
> For those that don't know about SSH, it stands for secure shell.  It's a
> replacement for telnet and the "r" utilities (rsh/rlogin/rcp) that
> encrypts everything, including username and password.  This makes your
> connections secure and prevents anyone from snooping your connection.
> This is a "Good Thing(tm)", and we've gone as far as disabling telnet
> entirely on all but perhaps one or two of the servers I administer for
> MSU (those boxes unfortunately need to remain accessable via telnet).

	You may not be the right person to ask about this,
	but has any explanation been given as to why there
	is no SSH daemon running on the PILOT machines at
	MSU?  I've e-mailed CAI about it twice since the
	beginning of the semester, but I've received no
	response.  Currently there is no way that I am
	aware of to retrieve mail from the PILOT servers
	without sending uid/pwd in plaintext (IMAP/SSL
	 being the other way that would work).  If any-
	body knows about this or can point me in the right
	direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

PaulM

--
							melson@holt.k12.mi.us