XFree86 4.0, Enlightenment 16.4, and Xinerama...

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
20 Apr 2000 19:05:43 -0400

Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu> writes:

> Heheh, one step ahead of ya there, just got done doing
> that... ;) Now the cursor works fine, just can't seem to move
> windows between heads.

Is that because they're separate X `screens'?  i.e., one of them
might be :0.0 and the other one :0.1.  I don't know if there's
any way to deal with that other than running something like x2x.

You *are* familiar with x2x, right?  If not here's some info:

blp:~(0)$ apt-cache show x2x
Package: x2x
Version: 1.27-5
 x2x joins a pair of X displays together, as if they were a single
 multiheaded display.  The pointer can be warped between displays,
 or, depending on how you start x2x, can slide from one display to the
 other when it runs off the edge of the screen.  Keyboard focus also
 moves between displays in the way you'd expect, and the X selection
 propagates around.  At least one of the displays involved (specifically,
 the one being controlled remotely) must support the XTEST extension.
 (The servers shipped by Debian support this.)
 .
 x2x is useful when you have two displays on the same desk, as you can use
 a single keyboard and mouse to control both.  If you want to propagate
 your selections between displays which are not sharing a desk, you might
 be more interested in the package propsel.  Propsel does not link the
 displays' keyboard and mouse, which would be confusing in some cases,
 and can propagate between up to 8 displays, whereas x2x can handle only
 two at a time.
installed-size: 39

> All in all, this multiheaded X stuff is really cool... =)  Time to
> scrounge up another 4-8mb PCI card and see if I can do tri-headed!! ;)

For some reason I misread that as "4-8 port PCI [video] hub" and I was
trying to fit out how such a beast would work.