a Newbie question ? about Apache

Alan Garrison aeg@lbwl.com
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 10:35:50 -0400

I've seen inconsistencies with how Apache is packaged in Red Hat as
far as directories goes.  If you do the tarball approach, I think it
assumes all your configuration stuff is in /usr/local/apache (?),
and I think the RPM puts the config stuff in /etc/httpd (again, ?).
Plus, it may assume your web root is in a different directory.  Apache
is one of those things where it just may be easier to set up with
a tarball than an RPM.

>>> "Daniel R . Kilbourne" <daniel.kilbourne@voyager.net> 04/24/00 10:24AM >>>
I have no idea.....maybe it is a problem with installing the RPM version that comes with RH. I have installed Apache on a variety of platforms (FreeBSD3 and 4, RedHat 5.1 through 6.2, Solaris, even Win32), and have had no problems whatsoever (except self-induced type), but I always install from source code rather than using RPM or other precompiled sources.