a Newbie question ? about Apache

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 10:49:21 -0400

"Daniel R . Kilbourne" wrote:

> I have no idea.....maybe it is a problem with installing the RPM version that comes with RH. I have installed Apache on a variety of platforms (FreeBSD3 and 4, RedHat 5.1 through 6.2, Solaris, even Win32), and have had no problems whatsoever (except self-induced type), but I always install from source code rather than using RPM or other precompiled sources.
>
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 09:38:54AM -0400, Marcel Kunath wrote:
> > So can anybody actually pinpoint why now two or three people have trouble
> > getting Apache to work? I am just asking because eventually I will update and
> > I like to know what problem exists so that I may prevent me trouble.
> >
> > I never had any trouble with Apache. Is this a redhat circumstance only?
> >
> > mk

> Daniel R. Kilbourne
> daniel.kilbourne@voyager.net
> Voyager.net Network Engineer

FWIW, we have just used RH6.2 on a couple of boxes here.  I just checked the machine we have deployed and apache appears to be ok.  That box was set up using a custom install type from CD.  If anyone wants specific info on groups, rights, etc. I can supply it, but I haven't changed any of it since the install - everything is set to whatever RH set as default.
I would double check the same thing as others have suggested - owners, groups, & file permissions.  Use the -R option to recurse the entire httpd directory if it's public stuff.

Mike Rambo
Lansing School District