scary story

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
03 Aug 2000 10:59:28 -0400

Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net> writes:

> Sure sounds like it, and I do fear the process.  What erks me though is
> why the heck isn't at least insmod not compiled static?

This comes up on debian-devel on a regular basis, go read the
archives.  I'm not just blowing you off, either--it's a
complicated issue.

> And whats a sash? (some kind of joke or something im not familiar with?)

SASH(1)                                                   SASH(1)

NAME
       sash - stand-alone shell with built-in commands

SYNOPSYS
       sash [-c command] [-p prompt] [-q] [-a]

DESCRIPTION
       The  sash  program  is a stand-alone shell which is useful
       for recovering from certain types of system failures.   In
       particular,  it  was  created  in  order  to cope with the
       problem  of  missing   shared   libraries   or   important
       executables.

       Sash  can  execute  external  programs,  as  in any shell.
       There are  no  restrictions  on  these  commands,  as  the
       standard  shell  is  used to execute them if there are any
       non-wildcard meta-characters in the command.

       More importantly, however, is that many  of  the  standard
       system  commands  are  built-in  to  sash.  These built-in
       commands are:

            -ar, -chattr, -chgrp, -chmod, -chown, -cmp, -cp,
            -dd, -echo, -ed, -grep, -file, -find, -gunzip,
            -gzip, -kill, -ln, -ls, -lsattr, -mkdir, -mknod,
            -more, -mount, -mv, -printenv, -pwd, -rm, -rmdir,
            -sum, -sync, -tar, -touch, -umount, -where

[...]
--
pfaffben@msu.edu - blp@gnu.org - pfaffben@debian.org - blp@acm.org