OT, But interesting

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
06 Aug 2000 10:15:02 -0400

"Tim Schmidt" <computer_holic@hotmail.com> writes:

> http://www.hardocp.com/news_images/2000/aug2k/080500b.html

I'm unable to read that article with lynx, w3m, or links: all I
get is links to three "IFRAME"s, which just contain ads, no
content.

> It appears that Intel is not only factory overclocking their
> CPUs [...]

Isn't that an oxymoron, or a misnomer?  As I understand it, when
you go to a chip fab, there aren't separate assembly lines
cranking out 60 ns and 70 ns, nor are there separate assembly
lines cranking out 866 MHz and 933 MHz Pentium IIIs, and so on.
Rather, each chip that comes off the line is tested for its
performance, where they crank up the speed until it fails at N
MHz, and then they sell it as an (N - delta) MHz chip.

On the other hand, overclocking is running a chip at a faster
speed than recommended by the manufacturer.  So the factory
*can't* overclock chips.  They could recommend that you run it
faster than it would actually work, I suppose, but in that case
it's a defective chip and you should be able to exchange for a
working one.