SCSI support

Marr marr@shianet.org
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 19:39:43 -0400

Mark Szidik - MLC wrote:

> I am running RH 6.1 at home.  I recently added a AHA 1520B scsi
> controller.  How do I get Linux to see this controller now?

Mark,

It shouldn't be too bad to get it working under Linux.  I have used the
(older, A-revision) AHA-1522A (same as the AHA-1520A, but with a floppy
disk controller) on Slackware Linux 3.6 (circa Nov 1998), so I'm sure
you can use the AHA-1520B with RH6.1.  I had to recompile the kernel for
(1) SCSI support and (2) AHA-15xx (?) support and (3) other
irrelevant-to-you things for my situation ([SunOS] UFS filesystem,
etc).  I used it with a SCSI disk drive, not a scanner, but it worked
great.  I did have to tweak a couple of the jumpers on the AHA-1522A,
but I have the docs for that board, so if you need any help, I can dig
out my notes on jumper settings.

> The 1520 is an ISA card anybody able to recommend a low-cost
> low-end PCI controller that is Linux compatible?  I want to spent about
> $40.  I dont need a high-end card because I am not putting HD's on it -
> just scanner, CD-ROM and CD-RW.

Well, I have used the Adaptec AVA-2906 card under W98 for my scanner and
I bought another one for a customer to use under Linux with a hard disk
drive (HDD) and eventually (?) with a SCSI CD-RW drive.  I had no
problems with that card, but again, I was using it (under Linux) for a
HDD, not a scanner.

By the way, this card (AVA-2906) uses the 'aic7xxx' SCSI driver in
Linux, because that's the SCSI chipset it uses.  Reading from the box:
"Supported Protocols  SCSI-1, SCSI-2, Fast SCSI-2", "Data Transfer Rate
10MB/sec", "External Connector  DB 25-pin", "Internal Connector  50-pin
standard".  This card comes with a single ribbon cable for the internal
connector.

The price, unfortunately, is $52 at NECX Direct -- catalog #133654.  I
don't know if you'll find a new SCSI PCI card much cheaper than that.  I
paid $70 at CompUSA a few months back, but only because I needed to use
a $100 free-merchnadise coupon that they gave me after the Lansing store
tried to sell me a used laptop as a new laptop in a new box!  Oh,
incidentally, I had to go to the Macintosh section (the card works for
both PC and Mac) of the (Novi, MI) store.  They didn't stock it in the
PC section -- go figure!

Hope this helps.... Holler if you need any more info.

Bill Marr