question

Torgo Jr agarris@voyager.net
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 21:41:45 -0400

Ben Pfaff wrote:

> "Tim Schmidt" <computer_holic@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > I would give $5 or more every time the domain had to be renewed
> > for an @gllug.org email addy.  Anything to get me off of
> > Hotmail (bleh!).
>
> You're bringing up something that's a little different from what
> I had envisioned.  There are really three different levels of
> email (that I can think of) usability:
>
>         1. Forwarding address: add `tim:
>            computer_holic@hotmail.com' to /etc/aliases.
>
>         2. Email account: optional storage of email on
>            www.gllug.org with access through POP-3 or IMAP.
>
>         3. Shell account: #2 plus a Linux login account so that
>            email can be read via ssh/telnet + an email client.
>
> #1 is all that I'd meant to suggest.

That is what I had in mind as well, but I see no
problem with #2 or maybe #3 if MLC doesn't care
(see next).

> At any rate, our bandwidth
> provider (currently MLC) should be able to veto any of the
> suggestions, but especially #3 because it's likely to require
> much more bandwidth and be a much bigger security risk.

Agreed.  Only if MLC isn't too concerned, we should still limit
access thru ssh only.

> > I'll bring some cash to the next meeting (wether or not I get
> > an address).  I guess it's up to the current/next sysadmin to
> > determine if the e-mail suggestion is feasable, and if it is,
> > it's up to the president to determine if it should be done.
> > Correct?
>
> I'd be in favor of #1 or at most #2.  We have nearly 2 GB free on
> /var right now[1] so storage space for email wouldn't be a
> problem.

The entire free space is more than 2G I imagine.  There
is a 8G (or 10G?) drive in there, and I did just a basic
partitioning.  I'm sure most of it is free.

> [1] Yes, I have an account, including root access[3], on
> www.gllug.org currently, as an artifact of sysadminning and
> webmastering it for a while[2].
>
> [2] I'd be willing to take this back over, being a little less
> pressed for time these days.  Anyone want to nominate me?[4]
>
> [3] Anyone mind if I upgrade it to Debian 2.2?

Are you the sysadmin?  :)  Please check with Mark, since
he's our MLC contact and he has direct access to the box.
Plus Mark is the official sysadmin anyways (or was it Dpk?).

> [4] I'm not going to nominate myself.

We haven't formalized our rules yet, so no nominating yet,
please (at least for official titles).  If you want to
take over the task of upgrading gllug.org, again, please
check with Mark.

--
Alan Garrison  ___ agarris@voyager.net
"MD5:  An encryption method used on the Internet."