OT: Sun & Gnome = ?

Tim Schmidt computer_holic@hotmail.com
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 11:35:55 GMT

>From: Torgo Jr <agarris@voyager.net>
>To: Tim Schmidt <computer_holic@hotmail.com>
>CC: GLLUG <linux-user@egr.msu.edu>
>Subject: Re: OT: Sun & Gnome = ?
>Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:51:53 -0400
>
>Tim Schmidt wrote:
> >
> > This is where Linux really shines.  You can run
> > it on basically any platform making your choice of platform dependant on
> > simply price/performance and not availability of applications.
> >
> > I think that when Linux really catches on for the desktop user, we'll
>see a
> > resurgance of Sparc/Apple/VLIW/RISC/etc. diversification.
>
>Unfortunately this isn't what the desktop user wants.  The
>average desktop user wants a simple, *common*, easy interface.
>I deal with "desktop users" (i.e., completely non-technical people
>who still need to use PC's) and things like window managers,
>/dev files, and file permissions are the *last* things that
>these people want to deal with.  They want point-and-click
>ease.  Unfortunately, I also know supposed techie (administrator)
>people who think like desktop users (W2K admins???? Hmmmmm).

Agreed.  But you have to admit that a distro that's dumbed down enough for
the average user will be available in a year or two (or ten?).  That's
really what I was thalking about, the future.

> > Since most of
> > these systems will be sold with the OS and most software pre-installed,
>the
> > user will not know the difference.
>
>I have yet to see a distro that completely hides the complexity
>of a typical Linux installation.  Until this occurs, there will
>be problems with end users.

See above.

> > They'll simply buy whatever is fits
> > their needs and is cheapest, because the software/OS/interface will be
>the
> > same no matter what.
>
>There are some other things to consider.  I was thinking that
>Sun or someone should come up with a distribution that only
>has the following:
>  - Linux core
>  - XFree86 with a common, simple window manager
>  - Star Office
>  - Mozilla?
>This is what about 80% of the typical end user wants, office
>stuff and a web browser.  All the distro's I've seen still
>require a lot of knowledge of existing hardware and how it
>is configured.

Agreed.  I would love to see a distro like that.  I've entertained thoughts
of making my own distro, but I'm a hopeless newbie.