news media

Dan Nguyen nguyend7@cse.msu.edu
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 01:07:43 -0400

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 12:11:29AM -0400, Marcel Kunath wrote:
> <huge snip>
>
> Well I read all the replies and just like to point out that I did
> NOT write "free software onto every machine on campus" I wrote
> "cover the issue on how MSU decides and spends money on technology"
> and I asked to bring publicity to matters like the one about free
> software. I don't think there is anything wrong with covering these
> topics in the local media.

Most nation-wide news sources cover Linux based on the business
implications it brings.  For news sources like the State News such
topics are not appropriate.  There have been very little if any news
worthy public activities locally.  Why cover something that is not
news?  True that free software could use an editorial piece, but
unless you are a State News writer or know one.  You'll probably never
see such a story.

MSU unlike many organizations doesn't seem to run like one large
company, but like many smaller companies working together.  If the CSE
department chooses to buy a lab of iMacs (which Waterloo uni has),
it's up to them.  AIS has seemingly sold their souls to Microsoft.

> I also disagree with the fact just because Windows seems simple it
> should be used. I don't consider Windows any easier to learn than
> Linux when you a starter. The argum,ent of CSE 101 was made.

And you are not an average user.  Realize that many people can't even
pass CSE101.  Unless you are willing to put your grandmother down
infront of a Linux machine and let her loose, Linux is not ready for
the general public.

> Why can't be CSE 101 be a scaled down version of CSE 231? I was
> never in touch with Solaris before CSE 230 and I felt its
> introduction to me quite interesting and challenging. C'mon we all
> know there is people out there who put Office on their resumes. I
> just don't consider office applications as that much of a computer
> skill. Business or secretarial skill maybe but not computer.

Realize that 101 is meant not to be an introductory programming
class.  Most people in CSE 23[01] can barely use the machine.  101 is
to give students at least enough confidence to point and click there
way though something.

If you consider Windows and the appliations which run on it easy, why
are there late night infomercials which sell video tapes on how to use
these "easy" products...

> I think Ben's approach would be perfect. Multiboot systems give the
> choice I am looking for.

And multiboot is a great option, and I hope that the microlabs
implement it, but it addes another layer of complexity.  And how would
you like to manage 1000 workstations which may all get cracked and be
used to preform DoS attacks.

--
     Dan Nguyen     |  It is with true love as it is with ghosts;
  nguyend7@msu.edu  |  everyone talks of it, but few have seent it.