news media

Marcel Kunath kunathma@pilot.msu.edu
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 00:11:29 -0400 (EDT)

<huge snip>

Well I read all the replies and just like to point out that I did NOT write
"free software onto every machine on campus" I wrote "cover the issue on how
MSU decides and spends money on technology" and I asked to bring publicity to
matters like the one about free software. I don't think there is anything wrong
with covering these topics in the local media.

I also disagree with the fact just because Windows seems simple it should be
used. I don't consider Windows any easier to learn than Linux when you a
starter. The argum,ent of CSE 101 was made. Why can't be CSE 101 be a scaled
down version of CSE 231? I was never in touch with Solaris before CSE 230 and I
felt its introduction to me quite interesting and challenging. C'mon we all
know there is people out there who put Office on their resumes. I just don't
consider office applications as that much of a computer skill. Business or
secretarial skill maybe but not computer.

I think Ben's approach would be perfect. Multiboot systems give the choice I
am looking for.

> > Sean >
> PS Didnt you write a letter like this last year? I seem to recall a
> similar letter written to the State News.

I wrote to editor in chief not the editorial. They wouldn't print my stuff
anyhow as it always gets too long. The only thing they ever printed of me was a
letter about the "laptop proposal" maybe 18 months ago. Back then I was against
a forceful push for laptops. Today I see it a bit different. I think it be smart
if everybody had their own equipment and we could rechannel money from public
labs towards infrastructure improvements. The longer we hold onto the public
labs, the more innefficient they should get if people start having their own
equipment. But then again I may be wrong because at times you can't get a free
seat in the labs but that may be due to ten guys fragging each other all night.

I honestly don't like the paper. Topics are reoccuring and it just isn't news
on what they report. Maybe I read too many websites before their stuff goes
ever into print. I got to admit I like Fetus-X comic though. Not that it is
particularly funny but it just is a gutsy move to print it because we know
with all the freedom talk going on in America there is always somebody who
wants somebody else to hush on certain subjects. I hate "politically correct".

mk